Sunday, August 1, 2010

$8.44 of food.


So the day has finally come.
Actually no that's wrong.
The "day before" has finally come and im prepping myself  to not automatically wake up and reach for the first edible thing in my reach, and shove it in my mouth.

I bought $8.44 worth of food on Friday. I felt quite the bargain shopper and was extremely happy with myself; i had compared and contrasted the prices of foods between Woolworths and Aldis (just quietly i am still getting used to this change of Safeway to Woolworths in FGate, gahhhhhh!) and bought what i thought would be best value in terms of bulk purchasing and having a long shelf life.

Now i know how it feels to be on the other side of the counter when i say the "Jumbo Combo" is the best value for your money ;)

For $8.44 i got:
1.25kg of brushed potatoes ($1)
A dozen eggs ($2)
500gms Oats (66c)
500gms Rice (75c)
Beef Stock cubes (69c)
2 Bananas (53c)
500gms of frozen mixed vegetables (80c)
Whole canned tomatoes (75c)
Mixed Italian herbs (30c)
Spaghetti (96c)

I actually dislike Oats/porridge, so i may have to blindly stuff my mouth with the stuff each morning.
But i should, while i hate to say it as it has so many negative connontations attached to it
"Suck it up! Be a man! Rub some dirt on it!" (google it)
Knowing that i actually have food in front of me, food which i can and will ration for the next 5 days unlike 1.4 billion others,will make me grateful for every mouthful.

Thus far from the support and love of all my friends i have raised $486.70 for The Oaktree Foundation's educational project's in Cambodia. I initially had a target of $300 but with the utmost support from them i smashed this and raised the target to $400.
One day after i raised this target i hit it again and raised it to $650. It's double and one-sixth(to be annoyingly technical) of my original target but you know

There's always gonna be another mountain (or target)
I'm always gonna wanna make it move (or hit it)
Always gonna be a uphill battle (or be a temperamental hungry Karyan)
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose (/ not hit the target)

It's all about the Climb, having some glimpse of how it feels to live with 1.4 billion others in extreme poverty and actually not doing something for charity but something that has to be done.
It's a basic human right. Justice. 

3 comments:

  1. Proud of you!Keep your eye on the 'prize' and not on the oats if you can. May I provide a hearty meal at the end of this for you? Love, t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!!! Thank thank thank you Ash! Love you!

    ooooooohhhh yes please Teresa!!!!! can it not involve oats please? ;) Love love

    ReplyDelete